- CSA T20 Challenge Knights vs Titans Match Preview
- CSA T20 Challenge Warriors vs Lions Match Preview
- CSA T20 Challenge Cape Cobras vs Dolphins Match Preview
- CSA T20 Challenge Lions vs Knights Match Preview
- CSA T20 Challenge Titans vs Dolphins Match Preview
- CSA T20 Challenge Cape Cobras vs Warriors Match Preview
- CSA T20 Challenge Titans vs Cape Cobras Preview
- Titans aim to bounce back in Benoni
- CSA T20 Challenge Dolphins vs Lions Preview
- Dolphins out to continue the good start
Matthews give Hobart Hurricanes Women opening match
Second edition of Women’s Big Bash League kicked off as three matches decided. On day 1 of WBBL, 6 teams played each other. On the whole it was a wonderful day for women cricket. Hobart Hurricanes Women, Adelaide Strikers Women and Melbourne Stars Women won their matches.
In opening match of WBBL 02, Hobart Hurricane Women won by 5 wickets with 6 balls remaining against Perth Scorchers Women. Hurricane chase down their required runs with the help of Hayley Mathews 38 ball 48 runs. After winning the toss Hurricane captain decided to bowl first. Scorchers managed to score at run a ball and made 119 in their all of 20 overs. Their batters weren’t able to bat well against bowlers of Hurricanes; Only Brunt’s innings helped them to reach at respectable total. She made 41 runs in only 24 balls including 2 Sixes and 4 Fours. This was an entertaining innings, comes to an end when she was trying for too much from last over. After a huge SIX and she missed next ball in last over off Satterthwaite.
©Cricket Australia/Getty Images
When they came down to chase down this run a ball total, their openers had a dream start for them. Hurricane openers put 72 runs for them. With this strong foundation, it was all easy for rest of batters and they were able to chase down this total inside 19 overs. Matthews and Redmayne made 48 and 24 respectively for their team. Suzi Bates of Scorchers took 2 wickets which made chase bit difficult, but Hurricanes hold their nerves and win first match of WBBL. Player of the match was decided Matthews on her wonderful batting.
Perth Scorchers Women 119/5 (20 Overs) LK Ebsary 26*, K Brunt 41, Heather Knight 2/31
Hobart Hurricanes Women 120/5 (19 Overs) HK Matthews 48, G Redmayne 24 Suzi Bates 2/14
Result: Hobart Hurricanes Women won by 5 wickets with 6 balls to spare.